Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: "T(dot) E(dot) Lawrence" <t(dot)e(dot)lawrence(at)icloud(dot)com>
To: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-14 23:24:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm not sure the last time I saw this discussion, but I was somewhat curious: what would be your ideal Linux distribution for a nice solid PostgreSQL installation? We've kinda bounced back and forth between RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu LTS, so I was wondering what everyone else thought.

We were on dedicated FreeBSD servers since FreeBSD 4/5 w/ PostgreSQL 7/8.

Then, when the cloud servers came and Rackspace had no FreeBSD, we changed to Debian.

Since Rackspace have FreeBSD, we are on FreeBSD 9 w/ PostgreSQL 9.

Nearly 200 GB database, 4 CPU cores, 8 GB RAM, some tables with more than 500m records, master w/ two slaves on asynchronous streaming replication.

Zero trouble.

We like FreeBSD, because, like PostgreSQL, it is a solid thing and not glued together like Linux.

When forced on Linux we like Debian because it is so conservative (which can sometimes drive one crazy, especially if one needs some cutting edge feature).

T.