Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack
Date: 2018-06-28 08:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 6/28/18 09:35, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> No, we absolutely still have SCRAM channel binding.
>
> *libpq* has no way to *enforce* it, meaning it always acts like our
> default SSL config which is "use it if available but if it's not then
> silently accept the downgrade". From a security perspective, it's just
> as bad as our default ssl config, but unlike ssl you can't configure a
> requirement in 11.

Isn't this similar to what happened whenever we added a new or better
password method? A MITM that didn't want to bother cracking MD5 could
just alter the stream and request "password" authentication. Same with
MD5->SCRAM, SCRAM->SCRAM+CB, and even a hypothetical future change in
the SCRAM hashing method. Clearly, we need a more comprehensive
solution for this.