Re: pgsql: New files for MERGE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: New files for MERGE
Date: 2018-04-04 19:09:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

[ removing -committers from cc ]

Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 12:16 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> Hows that an explanation for just going ahead and committing? Without
>> even commenting on why one thinks the pointed out issues are something
>> that can be resolved later or somesuch? This has an incredibly rushed
>> feel to it.

> Anyways, I think your reviews comments are useful and I've incorporated
> most of those. Obviously certain things like creating a complete new
> executor machinery is not practical given where we're in the release cycle
> and I am not sure if that has any significant advantages over what we have
> today.

Well, what's on the table is reverting this patch and asking you to try
again in the v12 cycle. Given Andres' concerns about the executor design,
and mine about the way the parsing end is built, there's certainly no way
that that's all getting fixed by Saturday. Given pretty much everybody's
unhappiness with the way this patch was forced through at the last minute,
I do not think you should expect that we'll say, "okay, we'll let you ship
a bad version of MERGE because there's no more time in this cycle".

Personally, I didn't think we had consensus on whether the semantics
are right, let alone on whether this is a satisfactory implementation
code-wise. I know I've never looked at the patch before today; I did not
think it was close enough to being committed that I would need to.