Re: Support for XLogRecPtr in expand_fmt_string?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for XLogRecPtr in expand_fmt_string?
Date: 2012-07-13 20:01:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:34:35PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I would rather get rid of this %X/%X notation.

> +1

I'm for it if we can find a less messy way of dealing with the
platform-specific-format-code issue. I don't want to be plugging
UINT64_FORMAT into string literals in a pile of places.

Personally I think that a function returning a static string
buffer is probably good enough for this. If there are places
where we need to print more than one XLogRecPtr value in a message,
we could have two of them. (Yeah, it's ugly, but less so than
dealing with platform-specific format codes everywhere.)