Re: BUG #3767: tsearch2 index creation fatal crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Thomas H(dot)" <me(at)alternize(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3767: tsearch2 index creation fatal crash
Date: 2007-11-21 05:04:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not sure that putting in to_tsvector calls there would be an
>> improvement, though, since at that point we haven't introduced
>> to_tsvector.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?

> Yep, I saw that chicken and egg problem in the docs when I was reviewing
> it long ago. I never came up with a solution either.

OTOH, I see that the very next sentence mentions to_tsquery without
defining it. So maybe it wouldn't be materially less readable if we
just changed the examples to use to_tsquery and to_tsvector instead
of literal-casting. Either way, there is something going on that
doesn't meet the eye, and we might as well write an example that is
actually OK practice rather than bad practice.