Re: Bug in createlang?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, "Thomas T(dot) Veldhouse" <veldy(at)veldy(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in createlang?
Date: 2001-09-06 15:44:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> The fact that the database server is wide-open in the default installation
> is surely not good, but the problem is that we don't have a universally
> accepted way to lock it down. We could make password authentication the
> default, but that would annoy a whole lot of people.

Yes, particularly for pg_dumpall scripts...

> Another option would be to set the unix domain socket permissions to
> 0200 by default, so only the user that's running the server can get
> in. I could live with that; not sure about others.

For my purposes this would be acceptable, but I wouldn't actually want
to use 0200. So it'd be nicer if the default socket permission were
trivially configurable (ideally as a configure switch). Given that,
I wouldn't mind if the default were 0200.

Note that locking down the unix socket is little help if one is using a
startup script that helpfully supplies -i by default. I am not sure
what the score is with all the startup scripts that are in various RPMs
and other platform-specific distributions; does anyone know if there are
any that ship with -i enabled?