Re: PSQLRC environment variable.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: James Tanis <jtt(at)sysd(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PSQLRC environment variable.
Date: 2004-03-10 04:37:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Uh, why is that a good idea?

> Well, suppose you want all your users to use the same psqlrc file.
> Instead of creating symlinks for every user, you can just set PSQLRC in
> /etc/profile and everyone gets it.

... but people who want to make their own .psqlrc can't? At least not
till it occurs to them to unset PSQLRC? I don't really see the use-case
here. James' stated problem of setting a default search_path could be
handled at least as effectively through either PGOPTIONS or server-side
GUC settings (postgresql.conf, or per-user or per-database variable
settings).

I'm not averse to inventing PSQLRC if there's actually some case it
solves better than any of our existing mechanisms. But so far it seems
like a solution desperately in search of a problem.