Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-27 02:55:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> I've not tried, but if PostgreSQL can do an 'out of tree' compile it
> could make it much easier.

Yes it can, following the usual procedure for autoconfiscated trees:
just invoke configure from an empty directory, eg
mkdir build
cd build
../pgsql/configure

This is something that breaks regularly because few of the key
developers use it :-(. If there were automatic tests that used that
build setup, it would be a good thing 'cause it'd keep us honest.

> That said, poor cleanup would be a result of
> a broken make clean.

Not to worry, the developers will notice that case fast enough.
I think the auto test script should just rm -rf build and then
proceed as above.