Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL

From: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL
Date: 2017-09-29 23:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 29.09.2017 20:07, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>>:

>     <mailto:n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>>:
>

>>         I have some free time now. Is it last version?
>>
>>         Regards
>>
>>         Pavel
>>
>         Yes, this is still the latest version. Now I am working only
>         on unfinished WIP
>         patch no. 9, but I think it should be reviewed the last.
>

>     ok
>
>     Thank you
>

> I have few queries and notes
>
> 1. Why first patch holds Gin related functionality? Can be it separated?
Yes, it can be easily separated. Attached archive with separated GIN
patch no.2.

> 2. Why Json path functions starts by "_" ? These functions are not
> removed by other patches.
Originally, these functions were created only for testing purposes and
should
be treated as "internal". But with introduction of jsonpath operators
jsonpath
tests can be completely rewritten using this operators.

> 3. What is base for jsonpath-extensions? ANSI/SQL?
Our jsonpath extensions are not based on any standards, so they are quite
dangerous because they can conflict with the standard in the future.

> This patch is pretty big - so I propose to push JSONPath and SQL/JSON
> related patches first, and then in next iteration to push JSON_TABLE
> patch. Is it acceptable strategy?
I think it's acceptable. And this was the main reason for the separation
of patches.

--
Nikita Glukhov
The Russian Postgres Company