Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add \conninfo command to psql, to show current connection info.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add \conninfo command to psql, to show current connection info.
Date: 2010-08-03 17:46:06
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org (Robert Haas) writes:
> Add \conninfo command to psql, to show current connection info.
> David Christensen. Reviewed by Steve Singer. Some further changes by me.

Looking at the output from this command:

regression=# \conninfo
You are connected to database "regression" via local socket in "/tmp" at port "5432" as user "postgres".

This seems a bit awkwardly phrased. I think it would read better if the
ordering was changed to

You are connected to database "regression" as user "postgres" via local socket in "/tmp" at port "5432".

I can't put my finger on the reason why the current ordering seems like
awkward English, but I can give a couple of concrete arguments for
changing it:

1. This way would match the argument ordering for \connect,
which in case you've forgotten is dbname user host port.

2. At least to me, this seems closer to the relative importance of the
items.

Comments, objections?