Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removes required quotes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, steven(dot)winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removes required quotes
Date: 2019-12-13 14:42:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> I don't quite understand why a readline library that doesn't have
>>> rl_filename_completion_function is known to have a
>>> filename_completion_function, ie. this bit

>>> #ifdef HAVE_RL_FILENAME_COMPLETION_FUNCTION
>>> #define filename_completion_function rl_filename_completion_function
>>> #else
>>> /* decl missing in some header files, but function exists anyway */
>>> extern char *filename_completion_function();
>>> #endif

>> I think the point is that before rl_filename_completion_function the
>> function existed but was just called filename_completion_function.
>> It's possible that that's obsolete --- I've not really checked.

Looking closer at this, the "extern" could be got rid of, I think.
prairiedog's readline header does have that extern, so it's hard to
believe anybody is still using libedit versions that don't declare it.

A possible further change is to switch the code over to calling
"rl_filename_completion_function", and then invert the sense of
this logic, like

/*
* Ancient versions of libedit provide filename_completion_function()
* instead of rl_filename_completion_function().
*/
#ifndef HAVE_RL_FILENAME_COMPLETION_FUNCTION
#define rl_filename_completion_function filename_completion_function
#endif

This would make it easier to compare our code to the readline
documentation, so maybe it's helpful ... or maybe it's just
churn. Thoughts?