Re: Pgstat.tmp file activity

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan Austin" <DAustin(at)au(dot)westfield(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgstat.tmp file activity
Date: 2005-12-22 16:53:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Dan Austin" <DAustin(at)au(dot)westfield(dot)com> writes:
> Solaris 10 has a tool called dtrace which reveals that pid #687 (a
> postgres backend) is doing a LOT of writing to a single file (iosnoop.d
> for you dtrace hackers):

> UID PID D BLOCK SIZE COMM PATHNAME
> 103 687 W 120384 98304 postgres
> /export/data/pgsql/data/global/pgstat.tmp.687

Hmm. That's the stats collector creating a new current-stats file,
which it does every half second or so. You might think about disabling
stats collection if you don't have a need for it. But I'm having a hard
time believing that that's the main cause of your bottleneck. The
backends aren't supposed to block waiting for the stats collector ...