Re: 'point' test suite failure on arm

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'point' test suite failure on arm
Date: 2005-12-20 16:29:52
Lists: pgsql-ports

Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de> writes:
> I recently noticed that the PostgreSQL test suite fails on arm in the
> 'point' test (diff pasted below). However, the difference is really
> small and is well within the rounding error range. It just seems that
> the expected output has one digit less than the actual result.

> Is this a mere bug in the test suite? Any idea why it just occurs on
> the arm platform? It works fine on all other 11 platforms of Debian.

Floating point math a bit different on the ARM? The quoted result is
basically sqrt(200::float8), and we've never before heard reports of
different platforms printing different answers, though I suppose it's
possible if the FP hardware is not IEEE-spec. I'd suggest asking
whoever maintains libm for Debian.