Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Date: 2020-04-14 16:03:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> At any rate, if the price of more clarity and more examples is that
> the tables become three times as long and harder to read, I am
> somewhat inclined to think that the cure is worse than the disease. I
> can readily see how something like table 9.10 (Other String Functions)
> might be a mess on a narrow screen or in PDF format, but it's an
> extremely useful table on a normal-size screen in HTML format, and
> part of what makes it useful is that it's compact. Almost anything we
> do is going to remove some of that compactness to save horizontal
> space. Maybe that's OK, but it's sure not great. It's nice to be able
> to see more on one screen.

I dunno, it doesn't look to me like 9.10 is some paragon of efficient
use of screen space, even with a wide window. (And my goodness it
looks bad if I try a window about half my usual web-browsing width.)
Maybe I should go convert that one to see what it looks like in one of
the other layouts being discussed.