Re: Is there a way to describe precision and scale for columns in a s

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: Bshrivastav(at)esri(dot)com (Brijesh Shrivastav), pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org ('pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org')
Subject: Re: Is there a way to describe precision and scale for columns in a s
Date: 2004-06-07 03:34:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
> Brijesh Shrivastav wrote:
>> It seems I can't get the select column information untill I perform an
>> PQexecPrepared().
>> Is there any way around it?

> I don't think so. The protocol supports it ("Describe" message on a named
> prepared statement, without Bind or Execute), and I assume the backend
> would play along, but I don't think libpq has any way to let you do it
> in the current release.

libpq doesn't currently have any API to let you get at
Describe-Statement. This is obviously something to fix. There are
actually quite a few aspects of the v3 backend protocol that libpq
has no API for as yet. I would like to see someone think about prepared
statements and parameters in general, and put forward a coherent
proposed API for the whole mess. But short of that, we could accept
a solution for this particular issue ...