Re: tupconvert.c API change in v10 release notes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: tupconvert.c API change in v10 release notes
Date: 2017-07-19 16:39:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> FYI, I happened across this commit comment:
> 3f902354b08ac788600f0ae54fcbfc1d4e3ea765
> | So, let's accept the removal of the guarantee about
> | the output tuple's rowtype marking, recognizing that this is a API change
> | that could conceivably break third-party callers of tupconvert.c. (So,
> | let's remember to mention it in the v10 release notes.)

> ..but couldn't see that the commit or change is so referenced.

Yeah, I see nothing about 3f902354b in release-10.sgml either.
We've had varying policies over the years about whether to mention
internal API changes in the release notes or not, but this one
I think does belong there, since it's a silent API break rather
than one that would easily be caught due to compiler errors.
Bruce, did you have any specific reasoning for leaving it out?