Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 23:24:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom, Simon,
>> * emit a NOTICE as soon as pg_stop_backup's actual work is done and
>> it's starting to wait for the archiver (or maybe after it's waited
>> for a few seconds, but much less than the present 60).
>>
>> * extend the existing WARNING (and the NOTICE too if we elect to have
>> one) with a HINT message explicitly saying that you can cancel the
>> wait but thus-and-such consequences might ensue.
>>
>> Both of these things would only be helpful when using client software
>> that shows you received notices promptly. psql is okay, but maybe
>> pgAdmin and other tools would need some further work. There is not
>> much we can do about that in the core project though.

> Well, the client software could be fixed in time for 9.0, I'd think. I
> think that implementing both of the above would probably do the trick
> for user-friendliness, enough for 9.0. If it's obvious to the user on
> the console what to do, then they won't panic.

If you like the concept, then the next question is exactly how to phrase
the messages. All we have at the moment is the inside-the-delay-loop
warning:

ereport(WARNING,
(errmsg("pg_stop_backup still waiting for archive to complete (%d seconds elapsed)",
waits)));

which now that I look at it could use some wordsmithing itself.
Suggestions?