Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server

From: Shaul Dar <shauldar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Sheats <psheats(at)pbpost(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server
Date: 2009-06-09 12:50:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> If you want to load test your own specific DB then I am unaware of any
>> such tools.
>>

> pgbench will run against any schema and queries, the built-in set are just
> the easiest to use. I just released a bunch of slides and a package I named
> pgbench-tools that show some of the possibilities here, links to everything
> are at:
> http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2009/05/bottom-up-postgresql-benchmarking-and.html

ׂGreg,

Have you actually run pgbench against your own schema? Can you point me to
an example? I also had the same impression reading the documentation. But
when I tried it with the proper flags to use my own DB and query file I got
an error that it couldn't find one of the tables mentioned in the built-in
test! I concluded that I cannot use any schema, I could only supply my own
DB but with the same set of tables pgbench expects. Maybe I missed something
or made a mistake?

Thanks,

-- Shaul