Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server

From: Shaul Dar <shauldar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Sheats <psheats(at)pbpost(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server
Date: 2009-06-02 13:31:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Peter,

I was looking for the same recently, and my answer is as follows:

1. If you want to test the *H/W and configuration of your DBMS* then you can
use the pgbench tool (which uses a specific built-in DB+schema, following
the TPC benchmark).

2. If you want to *load test your own specific DB* then I am unaware of any
such tools. I ended up using JMeter with the JDBC connector for
Postgresql<http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/build-db-test-plan.html>.
It took me a while to get it configured and running, but I now think JMeter
is excellent. I suggest you use JMeter 2.3.2, as I upgraded to 2.3.3 and it
seems to have a bug with JDBC connection to Postgres.

-- Shaul