Re: WITH RECUSIVE patches 0723

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WITH RECUSIVE patches 0723
Date: 2008-07-28 17:06:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> "Tatsuo" == Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Tatsuo> Included patches from Yoshiyuki should fix 1) and 2). I also
> Tatsuo> add your SQLs to the regression test. Thanks.

> I think it needs this change in addition; without it, incorrect
> results are returned when you reference a recursive view from within
> the recursive query, due to the RecursionScan nodes becoming linked to
> the wrong tuplestores.

That whole business of using the EState to pass tuplestores back and
forth looks fundamentally broken to me anyway; there's just no way it'll
be certain to link the right nodes together in complicated cases with
multiple recursions. The nodes should be carrying IDs (such as the name
of the WITH item) which they use to search a lookaside list.