Re: bug in windows xp

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Wang Haiyong <wanghaiyong(at)neusoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: bug in windows xp
Date: 2006-04-08 16:27:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

> Re: SIGFPE on integer divide.
> This signal does appear on linux also.

Hmm, it seems to depend on the hardware you're using. I just tried it
on four different machines:

x86 (Pentium 4): SIGFPE
x86_64 (Xeon EM64T): SIGFPE
HPPA: "ERROR: integer out of range" (the intended behavior)
PPC (Mac OS X): no error, returns zero

So the overflow test in int4div is definitely broken and needs to be
changed. However, this is also a good question:

> A simple C program shows the same. Why isn't it being caught on
> windows?

That still looks like a failure to trap something we should trap.
I'd suggest fixing that first, because if we fix int4div first,
we won't have a simple test case for it.