Re: decimal seperator

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: decimal seperator
Date: 2011-01-26 19:22:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>> implementing lc_numeric is on "todo" since years.

> Sorry for the late reply. FYI, I do not remember this being a TODO and
> do not see it on our TODO list:

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

I'm fairly sure that we've discussed allowing comma instead of dot in
regular numeric value I/O (ie, not in to_char() or other specialized
textual conversions) and explicitly rejected it as being more likely to
break things than anything else. An example of the sort of thing likely
to go wrong is that application code might not think that a numeric
value could ever need quoting to go into CSV data.