Re: ALTER TABLE name RENAME TO new_name; does notworkimmediately

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, megous(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE name RENAME TO new_name; does notworkimmediately
Date: 2008-08-10 18:03:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> What I suspect is we've broken the logic that manages REINDEX applied to
> pg_class itself.

Hm, this is a HOT bug. (Unless the OP found it on something older
than 8.3, in which case we might have more than one issue involved.)
What I'm seeing is that when heap_update checks to see if the new
pg_class tuple is HOT-updatable, RelationGetIndexAttrBitmap tells it
that only the OID is an indexed attribute, and so it does a HOT update,
leaving the wrong index entry in place.

Apparently, rd_indexattr needs to get cleared someplace where it
isn't being cleared right now. I'm sure this is related to the
fancy dance we do for pg_class reindexing, but not sure yet where
to fix it.