Re: Nested Transaction TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transaction TODO list
Date: 2004-07-03 21:40:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> Why does START have a different Node from BEGIN anyway? This seems to
> be a leftover from when people thought they should behave differently.
> They are the same now, so there's no point in distinguishing them, or is it?

[shrug...] I'd counsel leaving this as-is. We've practically always
regretted it when we made the parser discard information about what
the user typed. For instance, I was just reminded yesterday that we
really ought to distinguish SortClauses created due to user ORDER BY
clauses from those created because the parser silently added 'em.