Re: Is there any way to speed up PL/TCL functions?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any way to speed up PL/TCL functions?
Date: 2000-07-24 06:04:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

"Robert B. Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using some PL/TCL functions and triggers to do some special
> inserts. When I do an insert that uses these procedures, I get the
> "INSERT xxxxxx 1" response back immediately, but then there is a pause
> before the next query is executed. It appears as if the PL/TCL runs
> fast but after its finished it has to spend a significant amount of
> time cleaning up before the next query can run.

That doesn't make any sense as stated, but it might be that your
triggers are "deferred" (execute-at-commit). I believe the INSERT
command response gets sent before transaction commit, so what's
probably really happening is just that your trigger is slow.

> Is this the way it is? Any way to reduce this pause?

Hard to say without knowing what your trigger is doing.