Re: Per-Database Roles

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per-Database Roles
Date: 2012-05-22 16:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> On 22 May 2012 16:57, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>> Maybe we could simply make all global role's OIDs even, and all local ones
>> odd, or something like that.

> Wouldn't that instantly make all previous versions of database
> clusters un-upgradable?

IIRC, pg_upgrade doesn't need to force role OIDs to be the same in the
new cluster, so we could get away with this trick for the specific case
of roles. It wouldn't work for introducing local/global versions of
some other types of objects though.

Another objection is that it wouldn't scale up nicely to multiple levels
of catalog hierarchy. But maybe local/global is enough.