Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Mark JSON error detail messages for translation.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Mark JSON error detail messages for translation.
Date: 2012-06-13 23:49:07
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

>>> ! DETAIL: Character with value 0x0a must be escaped.
>>> ! CONTEXT: JSON data, line 1: "abc
>>> ! ...
>>>
>>> This seems an odd way to present this, especially if the goal is to
>>> NOT include the character needing escaping in the log unescaped, which
>>> I thought was the point of saying 0x0a.

I thought of a simple way to address that objection for this particular
case: we can just truncate the context display *at* the offending
character, instead of *after* it. This is playing a bit fast and loose
with the general principle that the context should end at the point of
detection of the error; but given that the character in question is
always unprintable, I think it's probably not going to bother anyone.

I've gone ahead and committed this before branching, though I'm
certainly still willing to entertain suggestions for further
improvement.