Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-08-11 21:43:40
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Interesting. I wonder why the function is not defined instead with OUT
> parameters.

Because bootstrap mode isn't capable of dealing with array columns,
so you can't define stuff in pg_proc.h that sets up an array of OUT
parameter types. I tried to apply that idea for the pg_locks function
a month or two ago, but it blew up in my face :-(.

It'd be nice to fix this sometime, but not while we are so far past
feature freeze.