Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 won't start

From: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
To: Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 won't start
Date: 2010-09-28 19:48:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Łukasz,
I do not have an ubuntu environment so my answer is general rather than specific, but the error message you are asking about is the general message postgres gives you when you can not connect to it, I have seen it on windows and linux with all of the versions of postgres I have worked with, the reasons may vary, from pg_hba not altered (most often the case for me) to postgres running on a different port. You may look around for a more specific error message.
Sincerely,
Kasia