Re: Log file Query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Yogvinder Singh" <yogvinder(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log file Query
Date: 2005-09-13 15:10:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Yogvinder Singh" <yogvinder(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in> writes:
> I am using postgres7.3 version. I am unable to find any log. =

In 7.3 your best bet is to log via syslog. Set syslog to 2 in
postgresql.conf and adjust the other settings if needed, then make sure
your syslog daemon is configured to put the messages where you want
them.

What is probably happening right now is that the postmaster is set to
send log messages to stderr but the start script you are using is
redirecting postmaster stderr to /dev/null. While you could modify
the start script, I don't recommend it for production purposes because
7.3 doesn't have any support for rotating log files that way. syslog
is the only production-grade logging approach in that version.