Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-11-26 00:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> The thought occurs to me that we're looking at this from the wrong
> side of the coin. I've never, ever seen query plan time pose a
> problem with Postgres, even without using prepared statements.

That tells more about the type of queries you tend to run than about
whether there's an issue in general.

> Anyone
> who actually cares that much about plan time is certainly going to
> use prepared statements,

This is simply false. There's a significant performance hit caused
by using prepared statements in many cases where the planner needs
to know the parameter values in order to make good decisions.