Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load
Date: 2007-11-26 17:48:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A 5-line patch which improves performance by 40% for any case sounds amazing,
> but how fragile is that gain? The kind of thing which would be worryign is if
> runing a query which uses both varchar and some other ambiguous operator
> causes it to lose all its gain.

Yeah, exactly. If we're going to risk anything like this at all, the
cache-of-one restriction is simply not acceptable (especially given
that the part of the coding it would eliminate is the simplest and
easiest-to-get-right part).

In the test case Guillame provided, every single WHERE clause happens
to be of the form
varchar_column = 'unknown-type literal'
and there are no other operators used in the SELECT lists; but I can
hardly believe that this is representative of any significant number
of real-world applications. Even pgbench uses more than one operator.