Re: Upgrade, Install, RPM

From: Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade, Install, RPM
Date: 2008-11-15 03:40:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- On Thu, 11/13/08, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:54 -0800, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
>
> > - Is version 8.3 compatible with CentOS 4 as it
> appears to be. (I have
> > all requirements listed in paragraph 15.2 of the
> manual.)
>
> Yes, you can run 8.3 on CentOS 4. see
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org
>
> > - I like using RPMs to facilitate security updates
> (via yum) but the
> > highest RPM version I found (on a quick search) is
> 8.2.3. It appears
> > 8.3 improvements are largely performance improvements
> for high-volume
> > transaction-processing situations, right?
>
> See the link above.

I started following the major upgrade instructions found in the RPM installation instructions at the site mentioned above. I stopped the server and then ran the /bin/rpm -e command which returned "package /bin/rpm -qa|grep postgresql^ is not installed."

/bin/rpm -q postgresql shows that postgresql is indeed installed. It seems to be a problem with the placement of the single-quotes but I can't find any other examples of passing strings to rpm in my reference book to help figure it out.

Thanks,
Bruce