Re: boolean and bool in documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: boolean and bool in documentation
Date: 2019-02-22 00:30:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 12:56:19AM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> AFAICS there seems not to be explicit rules and policies for usage of
>> 'boolean' and 'bool'. We use 'bool' for colum data type of almost
>> system catalogs but use 'boolean' for some catalogs (pg_pltemplate and
>> pg_policy). The same is true for functions and system views. Is it
>> better to unify them into 'boolean' for consistency and so as not
>> unnecessarily confuse users? FYI the name of boolean type is 'boolean'
>> in the standard.

> Yes, I think so.

FWIW, I'm not excited about this. We accept "bool" and "boolean"
interchangeably, and it does not seem like an improvement for the
docs to use only one form. By that argument, somebody should go
through the docs and nuke every usage of "::" in favor of
SQL-standard CAST(...) notation, every usage of "float8"
in favor of DOUBLE PRECISION, every usage of "timestamptz" in
favor of the long form, etc etc.