Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal whenWALarchivingis enabled

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jacky Leng <lengjianquan(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal whenWALarchivingis enabled
Date: 2007-10-18 14:39:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> What is the argument against making relfilenodes globally unique by adding the
> xid and epoch of the creating transaction to the filename?

1. Zero chance of ever backpatching. (I know I said I wasn't excited
about that, but it's still a strike against a proposed fix.)

2. Adds new fields to RelFileNode, which will be a major code change,
and possibly a noticeable performance hit (bigger hashtable keys).

3. Adds new columns to pg_class, which is a real PITA ...

4. Breaks oid2name and all similar code that knows about relfilenode.