Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: stange(at)rentec(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date: 2006-05-12 20:44:04
Lists: pgsql-ports

Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
> This code isn't used by gcc, is it? Or are you thinking to use the same
> assembler segment in the inline function used by gcc?

The out-of-line .s files aren't used for gcc builds --- what's on the
table here is whether to make the gcc inline assembler in s_lock.h
match up with what's in the out-of-line files.

> Was there any reason given for the cas patch?

It appeared to me that the submitter just had a bee in his bonnet about
cas being nicer ;-). There might be something real to it, but AFAIR he
didn't present any hard evidence.

> I might get around to doing the work for the Solaris compiler build to
> support the inline keyword as well. I hacked on it a bit today but had
> to get back to real work...

If you can find some time it'd be great. It's risky to fool with this
code without access to hardware to test it on, so I'm not very inclined
to change it myself.