Re: Proposal for resolving casting issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for resolving casting issues
Date: 2002-09-17 13:21:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> When those are really truncated ESQL/C needs to set a warning in sqlca.sqlwarn
> though, thus I think the second signature should also have an output flag to tell
> whether truncation actually occurred.
> Maybe this should be kept for a protocol change though, since I would not think
> a NOTICE would be suitable here.

Again, I don't want to invent output arguments for functions today ;-).

I agree that a NOTICE would be overkill, and that we need a protocol
change to implement completion conditions (sqlca.sqlwarn) properly.
When that happens, I think the explicit-cast paths in the coercion
routines can easily call the "set a completion condition" routine for
themselves; I see no reason to pass back the condition one level
before doing so.