Re: Can we avoid chdir'ing in resolve_symlinks() ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we avoid chdir'ing in resolve_symlinks() ?
Date: 2022-10-05 13:59:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> To clarify, this instance is not at all the fault of any code in
> PostgreSQL. But it's another instance where resolving symlinks just
> because we can causing problems.

[ shrug... ] *Not* resolving symlinks when we can causes its
own set of problems, which maybe we don't see very clearly
because we have been doing it like that for a couple of decades.
I remain pretty hesitant to change this behavior.

What did you think of the compromise proposal to change only
the paths that pg_config outputs? I've not tried to code that,
but I think it should be feasible.