Re: INSTALL file

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSTALL file
Date: 2018-10-30 10:14:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.10.18 04:11, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 01:01:47PM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> That is not the first file people looking at. Especially not people looking
>> at the GitHub copy:
>>
>> https://github.com/postgres/postgres
>>
>> I understand that there is documentation, but for the casual developer
>> looking at this, it seems broken.
> FWIW, I think that people depend too much on github and what github
> thinks projects should do to be more presentable, like adding a
> markdown-style README or such.
>
> I get your point that people look at README first though, and that the
> current status is confusing. One idea would be to merge the contents of
> README.git into the README. However the current status also makes some
> sense, as INSTALL is part of an distributed tarball, while README.git is
> automatically removed when running "make distdir". Looking at README is
> the first thing I do when checking out any project or after
> decompressing any source code tarball, so things could be better.

Right, thanks. That's why one of my proposals was to have an INSTALL
file in place, and overwrite it during the tarball creation process.

This way the general INSTALL file is there, and can contain "general"
instructions, and later on is overwritten by a specific INSTALL file for
the tarballs.

Regards,

--

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum