Improve documentation for pg_upgrade, standbys and rsync

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Improve documentation for pg_upgrade, standbys and rsync
Date: 2021-05-18 17:49:45
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

I revently tried to upgrade a standby following the documentation,
but I found it hard to understand, and it took me several tries to
get it right. This is of course owing to my lack of expertise with
rsync, but I think the documentation and examples could be clearer.

I think it would be a good idea to recommend the --relative option
of rsync.

Here is a patch that does that, as well as update the versions in
the code samples to something more recent. Also, I think it makes
sense to place the data directory in the sample in /var/lib/postgresql,
which is similar to what many people will have in real life.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-doc-for-pg_upgrade-and-standby-servers.patch text/x-patch 3.2 KB