Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "John Wang" <johncwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Duncan Garland" <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-27 20:41:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 10/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> John Wang wrote:
> > On 10/27/06, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Generally we try to avoid the MySQL
> >> comparison because it's not doing open source in general any good to
> >> constantly have PostgreSQL and MySQL pitted against each other. We'd
> >> rather be compared with Oracle and DB2.
> >

> > IMO, that's fine if you only want Oracle and DB2 users and want to let
> all
> > the other sites run MySQL. Is that the case?
>
> Well I typically look at it from a MySQL can't compare to PostgreSQL but
> PostgreSQL can compare to Oracle or DB2. That is the argument I use when
> comparing MySQL to PostgreSQL.

Right now I typically look at the comparison as PostgreSQL isn't proven to
scale as well as MySQL for Web 2.0 type community sites. It seems like all
Alexa 100 sites that use a OSS database use MySQL (many of them on InnoDB).
I've also seen an old eWeek performance test run where Oracle and MySQL
compare well from a scalability perspective but MSSQL doesn't (Pg wasn't
tested). In that case, MySQL, not Pg, was being compared against Oracle and
MSSQL. I haven't found a single Alexa 100 site that runs PostgreSQL yet.

If the Pg community doesn't want to compare itself against MySQL, is the
implicit recommendation that community type sites planning for growth should
use MySQL? That's fine if it is. I'm just curious.

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/