Logging broken messages

From: Rui Pacheco <rui(dot)pacheco(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Logging broken messages
Date: 2017-02-06 17:21:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I’m trying to implement a version of the wire protocol but I’ve hit a problem: whenever I send a Close Statement message to the remote, it just hangs indefinitely. I suspect the problem could be on my side but I can’t find anything on my code that doesn’t match the manual <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/protocol-message-formats.html>.

Is there a way to configure Postgres to debug this? I’ve tried setting a number of log parameters but nothing shows up on syslog:

postgres=# show log_destination
postgres-# ;
log_destination
-----------------
syslog
(1 row)

postgres=# SET log_statement = 'all';
SET
postgres=# set log_min_messages = 'DEBUG5';
SET
postgres=# set log_min_error_statement = 'DEBUG5';
SET
postgres=# show syslog_ident;
syslog_ident
postgres