Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-29 01:45:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 13:01 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Anyway, if you can test this tomorrow that'll be great. I have enough
>> other things to do today ...

> Looks good to me. I was and am still nervous of weird knock-on effects,
> but I think its the right patch to apply.

Me too --- committed and back-patched.

> We need to reword the doc section about time travel, but I'll let you
> tackle that bit, at least for now.

Right, done.

BTW, I realized that the reason I objected to your "option #4"
originally was that I thought you were proposing to make *every*
recovery start a new timeline. It's not hard to imagine
sorcerer's-apprentice problems in a repeated crash and restart scenario.
But actually this is just starting one new timeline per (successful)
archive recovery, and each one of those will require manual intervention
to kick it off; so it's pretty much impossible to believe an
installation would ever create an untenable number of timelines.