Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date: 2008-02-29 06:09:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Tom Dunstan" <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc> writes:
> This seems like a good enough opportunity to mention an idea that I
> had while/after doing the enum patch. The patch was fairly intrusive
> for something that was just adding a type because postgresql isn't
> really set up for parameterized types other than core types. The idea
> would be to extend the enum mechanism to allow UDTs etc to be
> parameterized, and enums would just become one use of the mechanism.

Isn't this reasonably well covered by Teodor's work to support
typmods for user-defined types? We've discussed how the typmod could
be effectively a key into a system catalog someplace, thus allowing it
to represent more than just an int32 worth of stuff. I'm not seeing
where your proposal accomplishes more than that can.