Re: CURRENT OF causes an error when IndexOnlyScan is used

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CURRENT OF causes an error when IndexOnlyScan is used
Date: 2018-02-01 02:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I'm sorry the patch attached in the previous mail is broken and
> not raises a compile error. I attached the fixed patch.

This patch is almost certainly wrong: you can't assume that the scan-level
state matches the tuple we are currently processing at top level. Any
sort of delaying action, for instance a sort or materialize node in
between, would break it.

We need to either fix this aspect:

>> IndexOnlyScan returns a virtual tuple that doesn't have system
>> column, so we can not get ctid in the same way of other plans.

or else disallow using IndexOnlyScan when the ctid is needed.