Re: BUG #5668: initdb failed to create postgres database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan Posey" <dan(dot)posey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5668: initdb failed to create postgres database
Date: 2010-09-21 04:07:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Dan Posey" <dan(dot)posey(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> initdb did create the directory structure and and files but there is no
> postgres database.

> Can login using psql but no postgres database. Same after creating
> connection with pgAdmin.

> Error: column "datconfig" does not exist..........

That error suggests that you're using some client-side tool that hasn't
been updated for 9.0 yet. pg_database.datconfig is no more.

In a quick test here, 8.4 psql is able to connect to a 9.0 database.
I don't see an error from \l, although it's entirely possible that
some other backslash commands might fall over as a result of expecting
datconfig to be there. I don't have pgAdmin handy to try, but if you
are using a pre-9.0 version then you should definitely update it.