Re: BUG #16923: Timestamptz always returns utc time when resultformat is in binary format.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mjfshark(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16923: Timestamptz always returns utc time when resultformat is in binary format.
Date: 2021-03-11 14:52:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Using libpq.dll and requesting a result set in binary format. Timestamptz
> results are returned in UTC timezone instead of the current session's
> timezone setting. Note that in text format the timestamptz is returned
> properly converted. Also note that Timetz results are converted correctly
> regardless of the result set format (binary or text.)

A quick look at timestamptz_send and timetz_send shows that they both just
send the internal representation; there isn't any intent to do any sort
of timezone adjustment. Even if there were some reason to argue that this
is wrong, the behavior is of sufficiently long standing that I doubt we
could change it.

> The documentation seems to state that Timestamptz fields will be returned
> converted to the currently set timezone session property and doesn't mention
> the above behavior.

Since, in general, we don't document binary representations in any detail,
I doubt that there is any such statement made intentionally. Text output
behaves that way, for sure, but if you see something claiming that it also
happens for binary output then we need to tweak the docs.