Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Rylander <mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Rinaudo <mark(at)bowmansystems(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine
Date: 2005-06-06 21:15:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mike Rylander <mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 06 Jun 2005 12:53:40 -0500, Mark Rinaudo <mark(at)bowmansystems(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is the appropriate list to post this question to
>> but i'm starting with this one because it is related to the performance
>> of Postgresql server. I have a Penguin Computing dual AMD 64 bit
>> opteron machine with 8 Gigs of memory. In my attempt to increase the
>> number of shared_buffers from the default to 65000 i was running into a
>> semget error when trying to start Postgresql.

> Did you perhaps disable spinlocks when compiling PG?

That sure looks like it must be the issue --- in a normal build the
number of semaphores needed does not vary with shared_buffers, but
it will if Postgres is falling back to semaphore-based spinlocks.
Which is a really bad idea from a performance standpoint, so you
want to fix the build.

Which PG version is this exactly, and what configure options did
you use? What compiler was used?