Re: Parser - Query Analyser

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Giannakopoulos <miccagiann(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parser - Query Analyser
Date: 2012-11-17 14:44:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Nov 17, 2012, at 9:18, Michael Giannakopoulos <miccagiann(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> My name is Michail Giannakopoulos and I am a graduate student at University of Toronto. I have no previous experience in developing a system like postgreSQL before.
>
> What I am trying to explore is if it is possible to extend postgreSQL in order to accept queries of the form:
>
> Select function(att1, att2, att3) AS output(out1, out2, ..., outk) FROM [database_name];

Anything is possible but what you are trying to do makes little sense generally and would take a tremendous amount of work to be done in PostgreSQL. The two main limitations are that you are creating a entirely new query language format and that the name of the database is constant and determined at the time of connection to the database.

From a practical perspective I do not believe it (as written exactly above) can done without breaking existing functionality and/or introducing ambiguities.

As I am not a PostgreSQL developer myself I cannot be of much more help but ISTM that providing more why and less what would get you better advice. As to learning how to contribute to the project I will let others point you to the existing resources that are out there. It would, however, probably help to explain what skills and background you already posses.

David J.