Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-27 20:25:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I understand why the socket needs to be in /tmp, but why the lockfile?

It would probably be better if the socket files weren't in /tmp but in
a postgres-owned directory. However, at this point we have a huge
backwards compatibility problem to overcome if we want to move the
socket files. The location of the socket files is essentially a core
part of the frontend-backend protocol, because both client and server
must know it ab initio. Move the socket, break your clients.

There is an option in 7.1 to support defining a different directory
for the socket files, but I doubt very many people will use it.

I see no real good reason to keep the lockfiles in a different place
from the sockets themselves, however. Doing so would just complicate
things even more, without adding any real safety or security.